Tuesday, February 28, 2012

ER Clinical

Last night I did my required 10 hour ER clinical. I was nervous because my ride-along for my Basic class was a total bust--not one call. But last night ROCKED!
I got to help/learn from several wonderful nurses and doctors. I finally got IV sticks down (I got 5 in successfully with one miss and 2 that hit valves and I couldn't advance the catheter). I also got to help with a shoulder relocation. I was just observing and the doctor called me over and asked me to hold counter traction with a bed sheet. So while the doctor pulled on the guy's arm, I pulled the opposite direction with his chest. After several minutes *Pop* it was back in. So Cool!!!! I also got to draw up lots of blood for labs, take lots of vitals, administer some meds, give a tetanus shot, set up IV sets, and witness a pelvic exam and the insertion of a Foley catheter. I even got some homework done in the"down time". I learned sooooo much last night and I'm still grinning from ear to ear about the whole thing. Hopefully someday I can actually get a job in an ER. . .here's hoping!!!

6 comments:

kalie said...

That sounds revolting! So excited for you. :)

Erin said...

I love that you have found something you love and are great at! If I ever have to go to an E.R., I hope it is one where you are working!

Mike and Corie said...

WOW!!! thats a TON of things to know. I am amazed!

You are doing such cool things and so well, great job!

Amylee said...

Ha ha ha!!!! Blood and guts! Just the way I like it. I can't wait for you to get a job in an ER so you can tell me "True Untold Stories of the ER." Totally.

GO. WHIT.

Jarred and Rachelle said...

Hi Whitney. Not sure if you remember me, but I was good friends with Trent in nursing school. Anyways, which ER were you at? Sounds like you would be a great candidate to come work in the ER. When you DO want to apply for the ER, I work at IMC's ER and I am sure I can give you a great reference for a job there. It is a fun/stressful/great place to work with great people and great experiences. Let me know if I can help you get a job.

The Judd Family said...

You are so amazing! I can remember when we were sitting outside at the playground at the U and talking about what we were going to do with our lives. I am so glad that you found something that you love. Congrats and keep up the hard work!