Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Surviving Fall

Autumn is always the hardest time of the year for me.  With the cooling air comes depression and restlessness.  It's been this way for years.  So I generally dread the onset of Fall.  This year is no different.  But I have chosen to embrace some of the things I LOVE about this season to try to make it through. 

Canning Peaches
Usually I do this with my Mom.  This year she decided to go have fun in Europe with my dad (rough life) so I got to fly solo for the first time.  Thanks to my wonderful Aunt and her fruit laden trees, I had a TON of peaches (for free!).  It was a bit more difficult doing it all by myself but it worked out.  The house smelled of peaches and burnt sugar, I had the windows open and Grant playing out on the deck.  It was a perfect day.

Harvesting our produce
I love having a garden.  It is one of the best things about living in a house.  The kids love to pick our ripe veggies and this year they were super pleased with the carrots.  If I don't keep a sharp eye on them, they will sneak out and pull up a few :)  We had a big crop of grape tomatoes and our little pumpkins make me happy.

Music
Fall has a specific type of music, if you ask me.  Usually it's Coldplay, Damien Rice, or Tori Amos.  This year I've found a new artist to soothe my soul. Ed Sheeran.  What is it about weird looking red heads? (He and Brett Dennen amaze me).

Holidays
While I hate Fall, I love Halloween.  It is my favorite holiday, next to Christmas.  And now I have the added aid of Pinterest to get my decorating on!  I'm working on a tulle wreath and am already planning out how to make the kid's costumes.  LOVE IT!


5 comments:

Amylee said...

Yay!!!! And you get to HOST in October!!! I can't wait to see what you do with your house. I love Halloween too. We need to get together for scary movies and sugar cookies. Just thinking about it makes me miss you. Is that possible? Why yes, yes it is.

Free peaches are the best.

Brett Dennen. Seriously. I love him. Have you heard the song "Sidney" by him? I always think of you girls. "If ever you need me, I'll come runnin'."

Cher said...

i totally related to this post. fall depresses me too, but i also love the harvest and to have the pretty leaves. having a change in seasons is pretty sweet.
oh, and the holidays too. right on! i love pinterest.

kalie said...

I love your posts. And I regret that we didn't play more this summer! Fall came fast. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Erin said...

Feel free to make me any Fall crafts! Your peaches look super yummy. I have no doubt our October FTC meeting is going to be the spookiest yet!

Angela said...

Thank you! I thought that everyone loved fall but me...but fall means coldness and that winter is coming soon and shorter days....Blegh. But I'm glad you've been able to enjoy yours a little bit:) I hope you guys are doing well!!