Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Random Thoughts on the Week

In the past week I have had the opportunity to witness several things of note. They may not seem significant to some, but to me they are.

I witnessed this week a family putting up for adoption a child they had adopted. I also witnessed a couple who have been trying for children for a long time once again find out that this is not the month they are pregnant. These events make me think. . . why do some treat children as accessories while others spend their whole lives--all their energy, all their faith, all their money, everything-- just trying to bring one into the world? I am so grateful for the blessing of parenthood.

We had the opportunity this week to go and see the new Draper temple. It was beautiful and Jane called, "Bye Jesus!" as we were leaving. While the temple was amazing , it was very interesting taking the bus up there. The temple is surrounded by million dollar homes. Almost as though the homes are trying to compete with the temple. Half of them were for sale and several had been abandoned without being finished. I don't know what to think of this.

This week I witnessed history. I watched as the 44th president of the United States was sworn into office. I watched the faces of people in the crowd filled with pride, filled with hope. And I listened to him speak. I was moved. I was inspired. I hope that he can bring about the change that this country needs. And I pray that he will be safe through his term so that he can do what he was elected to do.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I just got back from the Draper Temple. I thought the same thing about the surrounding homes. It was so beautiful inside though. Babies are miracles...end of story.

Shiree said...

Thanks for the deep thoughts. :)

Amylee said...

All things that are very noteworthy. I didn't realize that we could take the toddlers to the open house- I thought they had to be 8! I'll have to look into that...
President Obama- he really is a beacon of hope. It is impossible not to be inspired by him. This country is in such turmoil that I hope he can make sense of it all. I definitley don't envy his job, but I think he can do it. There was nothing like Inauguration Day. Amazing.
Babies. What do you say? We are so blessed. I think you're having a boy btw :o).