Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Death of a Goldfish

This morning we woke up to a floating goldfish. Jane had gotten Pete and Goldie about a month ago. Trent and I both thought they'd eat it far sooner than they did, but they were survivors--until today. Please don't think that I think goldfish death is funny--it's not--but Jane's response to it was. She climbed up on a stool to look in the bowl and said, "Oh no. Goldie is dead. Pete will fix him." I tried to explain that Pete the goldfish could not, in fact, bring another fish back from the dead. She thought about this for a minute. Trent walked by and she told him what happened. "Goldie died a little bit. We fix him."
Tonight at dinner she once again brought up Goldie's demise and said, in a thoughtful little voice, "Goldie was a good fish. Pete will miss him." Then added: "Let's go to the store and get a new fish."
It's interesting to me to see her deal with this--see what she catches on to and what she still doesn't quite understand. Goldie: you were a good, hardy fish. Sorry you died a little bit.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Sorry he's a little dead. I love when you get chances to see how their little minds process things.

Her pooping in the pool sort of made me laugh.

Amylee said...

That's funny! Poor trauma with fish- it's never good. And poor POOL! I bet that lady in the elevator was dying. So funny. That Jane is a character.

Kelli said...

That is cute! We bought a male Beta fish named Dory almost two years ago and the thing won't kick the bucket!I wonder how my son will do when he dies. Maybe I'll just tell him he's just a little bit dead;)

Shiree said...

Jane is pretty smart!