Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Green Green Thumb

I have gotten Spring Fever pretty bad this year. It's the first year we are in a house and I'll have actual garden space to work with and I just can't stop thinking about all the possibilities! We've gone to the store and looked into getting seed starting kits to start our vegetable garden (as we won't be able to actually plant anything for a while with everything torn up) and that can get pricey. So I went to plan B. The Environmentally friendly (and budget friendly) plan! This year we stared all of our vegetables and herbs inside in old cartons. I read up online how to do it and just went for it! We have used everything from old egg cartons to old baby food cartons to build up our little garden. The only things we had to buy were the seeds (naturally) and some seed starting soil. Once we planted the seeds, we made a greenhouse-like environment for them until they sprouted and then set them out by the windows. They should be all ready to plant soon--now we just need a finished yard to plant them in!Jane's Sunflower "Sunny" and our FHE bean plant

Our Herb garden starting to sprout. You can see the middle one still has it's "greenhouse" on.

Peppers. . .lots of peppers

4 comments:

Erin said...

I went to a gardening class this week and it made me wish I had a huge yard and could grow fresh yummy things. Someday!

Shiree said...

I love it! I am unsure how to start the whole gardening thing. We would have to do container gardening, anyway, because our yard doesn't have a garden and we are renting.

Amylee said...

Go Whit!!!! That is one thing I never tried when we were in our house. One day. I mostly just kill all things green.

Cher said...

nice! good work. we did it all from seeds too, in old containers too!