Friday, May 2, 2008

A Child's Prayer

So lately we have been trying to teach Jane some sign language. Signs such as "more" and "all done" and "drink". The other day she was eating in her booster and she folded her arms. I had no idea what this meant because we'd never taught her any sign that was even close to that. But all through her meal, she kept doing it. Then on Wednesday night, Trent and I sat down for dinner with Jane in her booster seat and began saying a prayer on the food. I peeked at Jane during the prayer and she looked from Trent to me and then folded her little arms. It was so precious!! So that's what she was doing the other day. . .she's learned that whenever we sit down to eat, we fold our arms and say a prayer. Now whenever we say "Jane, it's time to pray" she folds her arms and waits for us to pray. What a doll!

This is how she folds her little arms. We had to help her for the picture because she doesn't really perform on cue in front of the camera. . . oh well.

7 comments:

kalie said...

Too presh! I can't believe how big she's getting. My friend uses sign language w/ her kids and she says it's a total godsend. Looks like you guys are having fun times. :)

Amylee said...

Sweet! We ask Will to fold his arms and he says "uh, uh". I think it has something to do with his defiant personality. He does it occasionally, but only when he is in a good mood and isn't starving. You are so lucky! I'll trade you kids :o)

Amylee said...

As of right now I still have 24 minutes until your birthday is over. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you Whit, and I feel truly blessed to have such an amazing friend to look up to.

Tiff-E said...

Oh, isn't it the best! I love it! Don't worry that Kaylie got to a point where she wanted to pray before every bite. "mom, pear" before she would lift her little fork another time! HA, something to look forward to!!!

Erin said...

I love it! Tyler started to fold his arms a few weeks ago when we pray. I was like, "my parenting is paying off!" Then the next day he started to say 'no' to me anytime I asked him anything. Oh, well, two steps forward one step back! She is very cute!

Erin said...

P.S. Sign language is the best! Tyler communicates better with us. We know when he wants a bath, is finished eating or ready for bed. Keep up the good work!

Moser Clan said...

That is the cutest thing EVER!!!