Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ant Problem


So we have had an ant problem in our bathroom (of all places) for a little over a month now. When it first started, we had the bug guy come and spray. This was effective but not perfect. The little ants would crawl out onto the middle of the floor and die. There were so many of them! I'd sweep up little ant bodies every other day. But at least they were dead. Then Sunday I noticed that there were some big fat flying ants, and they weren't dying. in fact, the little ants weren't even dying anymore. And they just kept coming. So I called the trusty bug killer man again and he came over and took a look. "Oh, yeah, those are just Queen Ants looking to make a colony. They do this every spring" I know he meant these words to be reassuring, but QUEEN ANTS!?!?!?! COLONY?!??!? I was freaking out. Plus, having just seen the new Indiana Jones movie, I have a newly acquired fear of ants so I just pictured them swarming me and taking me to their colony to eat me. I haven't let Jane near the bathroom in fear that they would haul the little girl off. Anyway, he sprayed and went on his way. The ants are back to crawling out and dying now and I am grateful for that.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh wow, that is horrible!!! Just today I was missing my little cinderblock home but the bugs I can do without!

Amylee said...

Eeewww! I think I would almost rather have my hobo spider problem. At least they hide and I hardly ever see them (unless I go into the basement). Plus, when the bug guy sprays, it actually works! Scary Queen Ants.

tysqui said...

We have been so lucky to not have had any bug problems in either of the apartments we've lived in. I think I've only killed 3 spiders in 5 years.

Shiree said...

Yeah, we don't have bugs, either. One day I saw two ants or something. It was weird that it happened on the same day. Whitney, if you want to come use the bathroom at my place you are definitely welcome! :)

kalie said...

Hee hee! I have to admit that I was frightened of ants after that scene too! Good luck w/ your bug issues... We've been lucky w/ only one scorpion so far.

Erin said...

Those are always words you want to hear: 'queen' and 'colony.' We went to the zoo last week, and when we came home, Tyler's diaper bag was full of ants. They come out of nowhere. Just when I think I got the last one, I see another one. Here's to hoping that the 'queen' moves her party outside!

Unknown said...

We had that problem too, believe it or not! And Jane is SOOOO freakin' cute! Grace and I will be in Utah this weekend and would love to get together!

Vivian said...

it's funny what we are grateful for sometimes. :)