Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter weekend fun

Happy (late) Easter to all! We had a fun weekend celebrating the holiday. It started on Friday when Trent, Jane, and I colored eggs. Jane thought this was the best thing! Having just learned all of her colors, she loved to put (or should I say throw) her eggs into the dye and see how they came out. We let her color on the eggs with crayons first so that she could see her art work on the egg after it came out of the dye. It was good times and we only ended up with 3 broken eggs.

Saturday was the big annual Bassett family Easter extravaganza!! Cathy B. really knows how to throw a party! The egg hunt was first and Jane, once she realized that there were treats inside the eggs, went to town! With the help of Grandpa and Grandma Bassett she got almost a whole bucket full!!! She loved to squeeze the eggs open and find the treats inside. After the egg hunt there was the pinata (which Sammy successfully broke open on the first try), BINGO, and grandma's famous fishing pond where she loaded every grand kid up with toys and Easter apparel. In between the festivities, Papa Bassett BBQ ed for us. . . there is nothing quite like a big hot dog cooked over a flame. mmmmmmm



Easter morning we woke up and the Easter bunny had come! Jane got mostly toys (I guess the Easter bunny knew she loaded up on candy the day before). We had a nice breakfast (after Trent got home from a church meeting. . . . Why do they do that?!?!?!? take people away from their families on a religious holiday to discuss things that could be discussed another day?!?!?! makes me mad. anyways. . . ) After breakfast (which Jane ate none of because she'd found her candy from the day before and loaded up), we got her in her Easter dress and went outside for pictures. Dang it was beautiful!!! Sun shinning, birds singing, green grass. . . I felt like I was in a Disney movie! Church was a bit rough as Jane started coming down from the sugar and turned into what we call a mean (sugar) drunk. But at least she went to nursery without a fight (can't say the same for getting her to leave nursery however). We came home and took naps and then headed over to my Aunts for Easter dinner. My Aunt had placed Easter eggs in her back yard for Jane to have her own little Easter hunt and she loved it! After dinner, she somehow managed to get more candy in her system, much to the dismay of her parents, but this time she was a happy drunk playing with her Dad, uncle Jon, and Grandpa. She ran around and played so hard, that once we got home, she dropped like a sack of potatoes!


We had a wonderful Easter weekend, even despite the sugar. Holidays are so much more fun watching them through the eyes of a child. Thank you to every little kid who made this holiday magical for me again!

6 comments:

Kellee said...

Sounds like such a great Easter weekend. I look forward to the day when we have kids and get that excitement again. Kids really are so much fun and your little Jane is the cutest blue-eyed girl!

Erin said...

She looks so cute it kills me! That hat and dress make me want a girl! I agree, everything tastes better coming off the grill! Sounds like a busy and fun weekend.

See you Friday!

Amylee said...

I WANT TO COME TO THE BASSETT FAMILY EASTER PARTY!!!! Are you kidding me? How fun is that? You guys had quite the Easter Extravaganza. I love, love, love Jane's Easter dress. That was one of my favorite things as a little girl.

Michelle Evans said...

Wow! Sounds like quite the weekend! Jane is getting so big! She's so beautiful! I LOVE that she fell in love with eggs - I'd forgotten how neat they were when I was a kid until I saw Cole dive into opening them and then reopening them even after it was pretty certain they were empty ('ya know, just in case :)) Anyway, thanks again for letting us see your blog and keep in touch with your cute family. Tell everybody hi from all of us! We can't wait to see pictures of Basset #4!

cherilyn said...

she is looking so grown up! so beautiful.

The Judd Family said...

Those are some really cute pictures. Sounds like you had a great Easter. Thanks for being such good friends.