Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pregancy Etiquette

With only 44 more days of pregnancy to go and having an appalling number of people say and do things that have dropped my jaw, here is a quick lesson on pregnancy etiquette:

-NEVER ask a pregnant woman if she is having twins. It makes her feel fat. If she's having twins, she'll let you know.
-NEVER stare at a pregnant woman with wide eyes and an open mouth and exclaim : "Wow you're big" or "You still have 2more months to go?!?!" or even "Whoa!". I get it, I'm big.
-Please don't tell a pregnant woman's husband that he looks pregnant too. Those sympathy pounds make her feel better and make him feel worse--you don't need to point it out.
-Touching a pregnant belly is acceptable, in my opinion, if you actually know the person. Randomly touching strangers bellies just because they have a baby in them is usually a weird thing for all involved.
-And last but not least, don't talk to a pregnant woman about your sister's, friend's, cousin who had a horrific birthing experience where the baby came early and it's head was sticking out all the way to the hospital while she was screaming in labor pains and the car ran out of gas to they had to walk 3 miles to even get to the hospital where the epidural didn't work and the baby was in the NICU for 3 months because of complications at which point they had to declare medical bankruptcy because of the bills. Believe me, EVERY pregnant woman has thought about all the things to go wrong. We don't need to add to that list or freak out about what could happen.

Thanks for listening to me on my soapbox. That is all. :)

P.S. To readers: I'm not overly upset at these things, in fact they make me laugh.

9 comments:

Erin said...

That sort of makes me laugh. Some people just don't get it, which is ironic, since most of these things come from women who have had children and should know better.

Miss Kris said...

Amen! And no using the word "cow" in reference to a pregnant lady (I had an old man say that to me at the airport). I have a friend that totally shares her horrific birthing (and nursing) experiences at every baby shower we go to--no pregnant girl wants to hear that!

Kate said...

i love it, my thoughts exactly on it! :)

Abby said...

Hilarious Whit! With Caleb I had someone ask me if I was 10 months along!

Amylee said...

AMEN!!!! I think you are so beautiful Whitney. (That is something every pregnant woman needs to hear!) It's the truth. I love you. Let's have babies together, shall we???

Brian_n_Amy said...

I totally 100% agree! Reading your post I thought it was freakin' hilarious, because we've all been there. Sometimes I wonder how stupid people can really be to say that to a pregnant woman's face! DUH! By the way you both look great!

Amy & Milo said...

Ha ha!! I loved reading this....Whit you look great! Can't wait to be an aunt again...yipppeeee!! :)

Britney said...

I AGREE!!! Ha ha, You're so funny!

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

haha I laughed so hard when I read this!!!!