Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why?

Before we had kids, I knew that there were three words in the English language I didn't want them to learn. The first one came out of Jane's mouth early. I know she learned it from me but it was still frustrating. Everything was "No!". "Jane come here" "No!" "Don't eat that" "No!" "How are you doing, Jane?" "No!" "Do you like candy?" "No!" This phase seemed to last forever. It wasn't until she learned the next forbidden word that "No" started to ease up.

The second word came out about the time she started nursery. This one, I'm relieved to say, I don't think I taught her. I'll give that credit to the older kids in nursery. "Mine!" Everything now belonged to Jane. "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

The third word I thought we might have dodged. She didn't seem to get it until a few weeks ago and it now is used probably 200 times a day: "Why?" We can't talk about anything without her asking "Why?". For instance:
"Jane it's time to go to Connor's party!"
"'Cause why?"
"Because it's his birthday"
"'cause why?"
"Because he was born 4 years ago today"
"'cause why?"
"because his mommy delivered him"
"'cause why?" (you can see how this goes. . . we start with Connor's party and end up in a "birds-and-the-bees" talk!)

I am very grateful to have such an inquisitive little girl but if I hear "cause why?" one more time, I might lose it! :) At least she's been through all the bad words now so it should be easy sailing from here on out!

6 comments:

Nina said...

LOL. It is much more amusing if you're an outsider. :) SOMETIMES it helps to turn the question on them. Like:

"It's time to go to Connor's party."
"Cause why?"
"Because it's his birthday. What fun things do you think we will do there?"

Even if you don't know the answer, you could say, "I don't know. What do you think?"

Or, you could answer with something silly, laugh about it, and then tell her why it is a sill answer.

Hopefully that will work for you.

Amylee said...

Lauging my butt off right now!!!!! What a little author you are :). I love that Jane and all the trouble she causes you; it makes me feel better about myself and Will. I'm not alone out there!

Erin said...

AMEN! It totally drives me NUTS. I'm glad to know it isn't just me. Let's both hope it is smooth sailing from here on out.

I'm glad the wedding went well and that St. George was a blast (even if it was hot and windy!)

kalie said...

Through ALL of the bad words? I can think of a few more that could be troubling... ;) Cute post! I am also very impressed by your cakes! WOW! Super talented girl!

Vivian said...

just wait for the "what if" phase. My nephew is going through it and it's obnoxious!

Shiree said...

Alex probably taught her "mine." Whoops. Sorry! The "why" phase can be exhausting, too. It makes my brain tired. :)