Sunday, July 4, 2010

My First Wedding Cake

This past week I attemped my first ever wedding cake. I had been stressing abou it for weeks--scared about what could go wrong, how I would pull it off, how I would transport it, etc. On Thursday I got to work. 14 cakes mixes, 4 dozen eggs, one botttle of oil, 7 bags of powdered sugar, 2 tubs of shortening, 15 lbs of fondant, 4 tins of cookies, 1 spool of ribbon, 1 car wreck, and 16 hours later I had made the cake. Friday my mom helped me drive it up to Deer Creek (where the wedding was) and we got it all assembled. The bride had wanted the second tier surrounded with tube cookies so that it looked like a dock and then she had cake toppers--one was the groom sitting on the dock fishing for his bride with a ring on the end of his line, and the other was the bride reaching up for the ring. I think it turned out pretty good for my first BIG wedding cake. A huge thank you to my mom for watching the kids on Thursday and driving with me on Friday and to my loving husband for letting me do this, dealing with the kids on Friday, cleaning the house, and getting everything ready for Grant's birthday party while I was delivering cake.

4 comments:

Amylee said...

Great job Whit! I double clicked on the picture to see all the detail. The fondant looks so smooth! You are amazing. I can't wait to see your NEXT cake :).
PS- You should have made my sister in law's cake. Her's ended up being a TRAIN WRECK.

Amanda said...

woah!! Great job. You rock

Natasha said...

Your cake looks awesome!! :) You are so amazingly talented! Can't wait to see more of your cakes.

Shiree said...

Did you make the figures on the cake? It looks great!