Friday, May 3, 2013

30, Flirty, and Thriving!

Today I turn the big 3-0!   yay me!  It isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.  Yeah, I'm older than I once was but that can be said about everyone.  I'm grateful to have made it on this earth for 30 years.  Growing up I remember my mom complaining about her birthdays, complaining about aging.  Then she got cancer.  Every birthday after that battle had been a celebration.  She is grateful for every year she has been given.  And I've decided to take her frame of mind.  I am blessed to have been given 30 years.  Those years gave me friends and experiences and a wonderful husband and 2 crazy and beautiful children.  Thank you to everyone who has been a part of them!

Here's what I've learned in the past 30 years:
-I am stronger than I think I am
-Gravity wins, every time.
-I'm not the mom I thought I would be
-I'm not the wife I thought I would be
-Sleep is not optional
-Turns out that calories count every day--even on holidays and weekends.  boo.
-Despite the state of the world, there are still so many amazing and kind people.
-Unconditional love is not a myth. It's real and it's amazing!
-The best guys are bald :)
-I don't care what anyone says, caffeine is a drug...a strong one! (and I love it!)
-Facing fears is a huge adrenaline rush!
-People change
-Nostalgia can be dangerous
-If you're not moving forward, you are moving backward
-Laughter is the best medicine for ANYTHING!
-Wii bowling is very different than real bowling
-Pulling weeds is good therapy
-Tip your waiter/waitress
-Always pay the Karma jar. (learned that one the hard way...)
-My kids have a lot to teach me about being out-going


Here's what I look forward to:
-Staying fit
-Watching my kids grow
-Living out of state
-Going back to school
-Going back to work
-Completing my first Triathlon in July
-Traveling

5 comments:

Amylee said...

I love this post. I love YOU. I believe that every year is a gift as well. Each stage brings new and exciting experiences and possibilities.

Your first TRI!!! You are brave. I would drown for sure.

Erin said...

I too love this post! You are such a great person and friend. And doing a triathlon is insane. GO YOU!

Rachelmay said...

I love Birthdays too! I was excited to turn 30. Every year is a gift. And do you want to know something: You are one of the reasons I am grateful to have lived my 30 years. I love you Whit.

Na said...

Happy birthday! You are such an amazing example to me. Love ya!

kalie said...

This is the best post, ever. I want to hang this list in my bathroom where I can see it every day. I am glad to count you as a friend and I can't wait to cheer you on in July!