Sunday, July 20, 2008

California Vacation! Whoo Hoo!

Hello all, we just got home from our weeklong family vacation in California and it was a blast! We left last Saturday night and drove straight through to L.A. My Grandma lives in LA county about a 1/2 mile from the beach so we were able to stay with her. Trent's birthday was on Monday so we celebrated at the beach. He rented a surf board and Jane and I dug holes in the sand. It was a marvelous way to spend his Birthday :) The rest of the week we went to the beach (almost every single day), strolled the baordwalk at Venice Beach observing the strange folks, bought bamboo in Chinatown, and cut open an oyster for a pearl at the pier at Redondo Beach. Jane loved the beach--digging in the sand, squashing Trent's castles, and yelling at the waves. She even started walking more and more as the week went on. Trent did go to the beach everyday (sometimes while Jane and I were taking a nap) and got to be quite the surfer/skim-boarder/body-surfer. The guy is part fish, I'm convinced. And I loved shopping at the little trinket shops in Venice and Chinatown and soaking up the sun. It was a wonderful visit and we already miss the care-free atmosphere. Darn that reality and responsibility! :) Here are some pictures from the week

Jane's first view of the beach. . .at 5:30 am after driving all night
Trent the surfer-bum Bassett enjoying his birthday! Happy Brithday, Love!

Jane and Trent making a sandy creature. . .yikes!

Sand-Baby Jane noticing that she may be bit dirty. . .

Picking oranges from Great Grandma's tree. They are the juiciest oranges I have ever tasted!


Venice Beach. What a crazy place!

Chinatown. . .the food there is GREAT and the shopping is a blast but the traffic getting to/from there is a nightmare!

Jane and Great-Grandma Larsen. Two happy girls!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so glad you had such a good vacation. You look beautiful, even at 5:30 in the morning. I'm amazed Jane did so well on the drive. The pictures of Trent and Jane are priceless. I still have to remind myself that Tyler is still having firsts (beach, etc.) I'm getting excited to be back in Utah so that we can play.

kalie said...

Vacays are much needed! I'm so glad you guys got away. Looks like fun...

Amylee said...

Welcome back Bassett's! Looks like a lot of fun- Trent is the hottest surfer I know.