Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pearls and Pregos

On our recent trip to the pier at Redondo Beach we went to a little pearl shop where they let you pic an oyster from a tank and they open it and you get the pearl inside. Sometimes they are big, sometimes small, sometimes black, sometimes white, sometimes there are two or three instead of the usual one. And what's interesting is that you can't tell what size/shape/color of pearl you are going to get by looking at the outside of the oyster. Some big ones have small pearls; some small ones have big pearls. And thinking about how pearls come to be: a very small particle of sand gets into the oyster and it irritates it, and the oyster coats the sand over and over with its "saliva" and over time you get a beautiful, one of a kind, pearl.

I have had the privilege of being around some beautiful pregnant women lately. And I think that they are like Oysters making pearls. Hear me out. It all starts with a small little "particle" and the mothers body makes it into a beautiful baby. Sometimes that little "particle" irritates/makes the mother sick/uncomfortable. And when I look at these wonderful pregnant women, I think, "I wonder what their pearl will look like?" You can't tell by looking at the outside of the woman how big the baby is (most of the time. . I was HUGE and Jane was small.) or the shape or the unique characteristics that the baby will have. But each woman produces their own beautiful, one of a kind, pearl. So long story short. . .that's what I think about now when I see a pregnant woman waddling around: what will her pearl look like? I love the way that God works!


Oh, and if you are wondering. . . .I am NOT pregnant, just admiring those that are :)

4 comments:

Abby said...

I love it! That made me feel nice after a long, hot day of waddling around and feeling sad because all I want to do is go to sleep, but I know that when the time comes I won't be able to get comfortable! I've always loved picking oysters and getting pearls at those little shops and this is so much better. Thanks for the perspective check. My pearl is going to be cool!

kalie said...

When I saw the post title, I was like "WHAAAATT?!" But it was beautiful, and I love the similarity--it could also be drawn to the works we produce. We can all make a beautiful contribution despite our "outward appearance." I heart this! And I heart you!

Perry's said...

What a great analogy I love it! Glad you had fun in Cali, we love it there!

Erin said...

I know what you mean! I just packed up Tyler's baby book and saw his 10 week ultrasound, he was like a little nub the size of a bean. That 'little nub' is now running all over the house and saying new words every day. I will always be in awe over how it works out.