Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween! It seems like this has been the never-ending holiday this year. With parties and movies and costumes and pumpkins, Halloween has kept us on our feet. There were some firsts this year worth mentioning:

Grant helped carve (or at least gut) his pumpkin this year. Last year he slept through it. He wasn't quite sure of the feel of the slimy seeds and when we'd take them out of the pumpkin, he would put them back in. He also thought the pumpkin was for eating and so he sat nibbling on the cap of his pumpkin.Our finished Pumpkins Jane and her cousins, Addy and Brynn, with their pumpkins. (They came and joined us for carving)We went to our first Trunk-or-Treat ever this year. I have been opposed to them for several reasons but it's hard to get out of going when you are on the Activities Committee. It wasn't too bad but I still prefer the old-fashioned way of trick-or-treating.
The Gang Although this was not Grant's first time trick-or-treating, it was the first year he understood how cool it is. He went up to the doors with Jane and loved sorting through his loot when we got home. Jane really enjoyed Halloween this year and continues to ask, about every two hours, when we are going trick-or-treating again so "I can get more candy". Yikes! I was surprised at how few people were out trick-or-treating. Even when the rain stopped, there weren't that many kids out. What has happened to this holiday? Saturday I opened the paper to one of my favorite columnists, Robert Kirby. He wrote a spectacular article on Halloween and how much it has changed over the years (read it here). It really summed up my feelings on the subject and made me laugh out loud.
We had a good Halloween but I'm glad we have 364 days until the next one.

2 comments:

The Judd Family said...

Cute costumes! The pumpkins look awesome! I love how into Halloween you are. I am sorry about trying to get together to play. I feel like things are going to slow down a little soon. I will call or email you to find out when a good time would be to get our kids together. Kelli's birthday is coming up and Jane is invited. I will send you an invitation. Thanks Whit. I love all the cute pictures. Great job on growing pumpkins!

Amylee said...

That Grant kills me every time! I'm not a fan of trunk-or-treat either, but sometimes you just have to give in. We got rained out of our trick-or-treating. I'm crossing my fingers for next year!