Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Drama, Drama, Drama

So about a week ago, Chompy decided that he no longer wanted to breastfeed. It happened quite suddenly and was super frustrating. We visited the lactation nurse at the hospital and got help from our sister-in-law who is a wiz at breastfeeding and still Chompy did not eat. Since he wouldn't eat from me, we tried bottles and drip lines. Everyday it seemed to get worse. Then yesterday we were at the end of our rope. We went in to the hospital to get help from the Lactation nurse one last time. She got him to latch on and eat no problem. Then she had me try and I couldn't do it. That was it. I felt broken. I had no fight left in me. We decided to try on the next feeding and when he fought it, I gave up and gave him a bottle. We decided that we were done with breastfeeding and would just have to bottle feed from there on out.

So Trent gave him a bottle at around 8pm and then we went out as a family to see our HOA clubhouse and get treats. We got to the clubhouse and all of the sudden Grant projectile vomited the entire contents of his stomach all over. He was strapped in his car seat so I started cleaning him off when he started to choke. I got him out of the seat and patted him on the back and he just kept choking. Trent kicked into nurse gear and gave him big pounds on the back but he just kept choking and started to have little 5-10 second spells where he'd stop breathing. We were freaking out! We threw Jane in the car and didn't even bother putting him back in his seat and sped home. I ran up and grabbed the suction bulb they gave us in the hospital and started suctioning out his throat and nose. We worked on him for a good 20 mins. It was the scariest 20 mins of my life. There were points where I was scared for his life because of how he was arching back, how he looked, and that he wasn't breathing. At one point we were about to call 911 but he seemed to get better a little so we decided to just drive him to the ER. Through all of this, Jane was screaming and trying to get in to see what we were doing so we decided it would be best if we could get someone to watch her. We ran to the only neighbor close by we know and they weren't home so we threw her in the car and called my Aunt on the way to the hospital to come get her.

We made it all the way to Primary Childrens Hospital and I ran in with Grant. The ER was full!!! There were so many people there! We got all checked in, got Jane off with my Aunt, and then had a dear friend come help Trent give Grant a blessing. I don't know what we'd do without the Priesthood. When we finally got called back, we were visited by a Nurse Practitioner (who reminded us of Patch Adams), a doctor, and a regular nurse. They decided that, although he looked good at that point, that they wanted to get a chest x-ray just to make sure his lungs were ok. The Patch Adams guy told me to feed him and then we'd go over to x-ray. I told him I'd do my best but the little guy doesn't breast feed. So Patch left and I half halfheartedly put Grant up to feed. The kid latched on no problem and stared to chow down!!!! What the heck!?!?!?!? He even did well on the other side! It was a little miracle! We took him to x-ray and he did well but when we got back, he wanted to eat again! When the x-rays came back we were visited again by all three practitioners and told that we could go home. We left the hospital at 1 am so tired we could barely see straight. But so happy that everything went ok and that Grant was ok.

Since then, the kid breastfeeds like a champ--like he was born for it! We've decided that we have lots of drama with our kids so maybe two really is enough. . . While we were waiting for doctors Trent and I were talking about how similar our two kids are: both pooped before being born so they had to have special attention when they were born; both had a horrific time breastfeeding; and now both have aspirated to the point they needed immediate medical attention. Yeah, two is enough. But, as terrible as yesterday was, we are so incredibly grateful for the blessings of the day. We are so grateful that our son is ok and still with us. We are grateful that he remembered how to breastfeed. We are grateful for family who will help us out in a moments notice. We are grateful for trained doctors and nurses who can help us out. We are grateful for the Priesthood and the immense power that prayer has. And we are thankful that yesterday is over :)

8 comments:

Amylee said...

Sheesh!!! I thought you said girls were the ones with all the drama. I'm glad he is eating well (and I hope he still is!) I can't imagaine how scary yesterday was for you. Get some sleep... things are going to start looking up for you.

Miss Kris said...

So scary!! I'm glad everyone is OK and I hope you have a nice quiet week (or several months).

Erin said...

Holy Crap! I would have lost it, you are a better and stronger person than I am. I am beyond relieved for you and Trent. And Grant...no more drama for your mom! Deal.

Ryan and Jamie Turner said...

My heavens! That sounds so scary and so tiring. I'm glad everything is ok now, and I hope that he continues to breast feed without problems. Oh, the thing I have to look forward to!...

Brian_n_Amy said...

Wow Whit. Sounds like quite a day. I'm glad Grant is okay and eating better. That is very scary! I'm sure you tried this already, but when Talitha was younger, I had a hard time feeding her too. She wouldn't latch on either. I ended up just using a pump and then gave it to her in a bottle. That seemed to work for her. I'm glad everything is okay now.

madbug said...

I am so glad he is ok. How are you doing? I hope all is going better for you today. Hang in there Whit and let me know if there is anything I can do. I will continue to remember you and Trent, Grant and Jane in my prayers. Love you!

kalie said...

Sounds very scary! I am glad everything turned out okay.

Moser Clan said...

Oh my scariness Whit!!!!! Freak!!! I'm so so SO glad everything is okay.